Monday, November 4, 2013

"So close your eyes and dream of all the wonderful Trash that's yet to come." ~ Oscar the Grouch





I was stunned yesterday as I was walking around town to discover this.   The Lone Trash Receptacle.  I have done a lot of walking and would have noticed another.  This is it.  And it was empty.  Trash was strewn all around it but none had made it into the little dustbin.  Cambodians really don't think of trash the way we do.  I'm not sure they even have a word for it.  I tried, diplomatically,  talking to one of CCF's teachers about the trash.  She looked totally confused.  Could not understand what I was talking about.  I went on to say that while I was surprised at the amount of trash around I was relieved that I hadn't seen any rats.  She cocked her head to one side with a puzzled look on her face and said quizzically, "Why?  You no like rats?".

Today I was helping a teacher with his resume and what I thought at first was a very large mouse, ran through the class room.  The teacher just chuckled.  We were sitting on floor, barefooted and I was not thinking this was funny.  We continued to work but it kept scurrying out from behind a stack of cushions, it's beady red eyes glowering at us.  I asked if it was a mouse or a rat.  He replied, "what's the difference".  That was it for me for the day.  Because mouse or rat..."I no like rodents!"

No comments:

Post a Comment